A Bay Area native and a resident of Los Gatos since 1997, Rob Rennie holds a Masters degree in engineering from Dartmouth College, Hanover, N.H and BA in Chemistry and Physics, Skidmore College, Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He spent more than 25 years in the semiconductor industry with 5 years developing products to improve solar energy technology. After retiring from the tech industry Rob took on a new challenge and became a small business owner in town.
Rob was elected to the Los Gatos Town Council in 2014 and currently serves as a Vice Mayor. Prior to being elected to Council Rob has also been active in a number of community organizations.
Rob and his wife Isabella have a grown daughter, Alena, who is a DJ and music producer in Berlin, Germany. Isabella dedicated her professional life to helping others and for the last 15 years worked for a property management company focused on affordable housing in the Bay Area.
In his spare time Rob enjoys hiking, bicycling, and walking the family dogs, Fiona & Fleece.
Environmental and Political Leader
Rob served for several years on the Los Gatos Parks Commission, before his election the Town Council. Since being elected to the Council Rob has served on multiple Local and Regional Boards and Commissions:
- Global warming, carbon free electricity, & de-carbonization on Silicon Valley Clean Energy Authority (SVCE). Founding Board Member, and as a Chair of the Board.
- Transit for the underserved & climate action plans on the Valley Transit Authority (VTA). Congestion Management Committee Chair.
- Safety, security, emergency preparedness and mitigation for fire, floods, droughts mudslides, & pandemics on the county Emergency Operating Area Council (EOAC)
- Air quality and global warming on Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD). Bay Area Representative.
- Preserving open space, and fighting to curb sprawl on Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO)
- Support for community needs such as affordable housing on the county Housing and Community Development Advisory Committee (HCDAC)
- Solving problems common to a number of communities on the Santa Clara County Cities Association
A climate activist and environmental steward for over 25 years Rob has been an active member of the Sierra Club
- Organized and led the Sierra Club Cool City team in Los Gatos to raise awareness of Climate Change and support the Mayor’s Climate Protection Agreement in 2007
- Political Committee Member - Loma Prieta Chapter of the Sierra Club from 2006 to 2012 and a Committee Co-Chair from 2007 to 2011
- Executive Board Member from 2007 to 2013 and a Vice Chair from 2009 to 201
- Trained Engineer, Problem Solver and Entrepreneur
- Rob brings nearly 30 years of experience as an engineer and tech innovator solving complex problems to challenges facing Santa Clara County. His experience as a small business owner gives him a unique insight into the toll that COVID has taken on local economies. Rob continues to look for more opportunities to support our small businesses. He is committed to leading District 1 to a recovery rooted in equity and opportunities.
Continuing Volunteer Work
- Teaching STEM labs to middle school students and enterprise leadership to high school juniors through Rotary programs
- Emergency preparedness as CERT member, and ham radio operator
- Creek Clean Up volunteer
- Rebuilding Together Silicon Valley volunteer
- Delivering groceries and meals during COVID for West Valley Community Services
- As an active Rotarian, Rob served as a President and continues to volunteer on many projects that improve the life of community members, through service, the arts and other community activities.
Rob looks forward to new challenges serving the First Supervisorial District of Santa Clara County, tackling issues such as combatting climate change; disaster preparedness; creating a more integrated transit system; helping our small business community recover from COVID and more.
Do you like this page?